domingo, 24 de agosto de 2014

3 am - 4 am

3 A.M. Quarter to three has come and gone, but that won't stop Only The Lonely (Capitol) from being the ultimate Frank Sinatra album for this time of night - weary, confidential, and completely self-obsessed. You could ask for no more than "Angel Eyes", "Good-Bye", or "One For My Baby". The only record that I know of that is more drained of expectation is Chet Baker's early vocal masterpiece "The Thrill Is Gone". Indeed. You can find it on Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz), and he does. There is a James van Heusen song that both men share. Sinatra's version can be found on In The Wee Small Hours (Capitol). It is both noble and knowing. Chet's narcotic rendition could once be found on Chet Baker With Fifty Italian Strings and has now been reissued as the title track of Deep In A Dream: The Ultimate Chet Baker Collection (Pacific Jazz). It is altogether more troubling.
My cigarette burns me
I wake with a start
My hand isn't hurt
But there's pain in my heart
But we'll love anew
Just as we used to do
When I'm deep in a dream of you.
Now as you edge closer to the darkest hour, play "Ghost Of Yesterday" or "Laughing At Life" (with Lester Young) from Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday On Columbia (1933-1944).

1. Frank Sinatra - Only The Lonely (4:09)
2. Frank Sinatra - Angel Eyes (3:43)
3. Frank Sinatra - Willow Weep For Me (4:48)
4. Frank Sinatra - Good-Bye (5:47)
5. Frank Sinatra - Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry (4:00)
6. Frank Sinatra - Spring Is Here (4:45)
7. Frank Sinatra - One For My Baby (4:27)
8. Chet Baker - The Thrill Is Gone (2:48)
9. Chet Baker - Spring Is Here (1:11)
10. Chet Baker - Let's Get Lost (2:58)
11. Chet Baker - You Don't Know What Love Is (4:52)
12. Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine (vocal) (2:18)
13. Chet Baker - Deep In A Dream (4:33)
14. Frank Sinatra - Deep In A Dream (2:48)
15. Billie Holiday - Ghost of Yesterday (2:39)
16. Billie Holiday - Laughing at Life (2:56)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario